pianotech-digest V2001 #288

JStan40@AOL.COM JStan40@AOL.COM
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 20:58:40 EST

> Howard,
>
> If you think about how much difference there is between the speed of
> F3-A3 and F#3-A#3 (1/2 a beat difference caused by raising the two notes
> 100 cents), then there should be only .08 beat increase with a 16 cent
> pitch raise. My math may be a little fuzzy but, anyway, negligible as
> you say. Same would apply to sixths and tenths.
>
> IMO, it has more to do with pitch, that there is an innate tendency for
> musicians (with absolute pitch) to want "brighter" (meaning higher
> pitches), that sharper is preferable to flat or on pitch (poor musicians
> play flat), and the only hope we have of keeping the 440 standard
> (besides piano technicians) is the inflexibility of wind instruments to
> accommodate an ever-rising standard. Any day now I expect orchestra rage
> to manifest in the form of trombones launching rockets into the violin
> section during the 1812 Overture. BwaaAAAAHH!
>
> Tom Cole

Gentlepersons of the List,

Tom has the basics of this ongoing argument (even within orchestras) nailed
down very neatly.  A Viennese violinist with whom I worked for a number of
years explained it this way:  violins, particularly, are subject to stresses
which eventually cause the wood to deaden a bit....that is, to become less
flexible and to vibrate less, thus deadening the tone.  The response of
players to this.....rather than giving the poor instrument a rest for a
while......is to raise the pitch, thus creating that brightness again.  This,
however, leads to eventual deadening, and the cycle repeats.  Mind you, this
is just one theory, but it makes a certain amount of sense (cents?).

And us trombone players are not really the ones who will rebel first--we do
have a slide, after all, and can cope with nearly anything--it will be the
clarinets who will arrive with blowguns and curare-tipped darts!!!!!!!

The answer?  I haven't a clue.......but it is bothersome particularly in
summer festivals where players come from orchestras who play at different
pitch levels, and the woodwind players are constantly fighting for their own.
 Oh, and Joe Goss......MANY tuba players have had to have their instruments
cut in order to reach the pitch.  Mouthpiece design changes over the years
have actually lowered the pitch of older instruments in many cases!
(Trombones and trumpets, too.)

Regards, all!

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL