'C' fork users only (inferior 'A' fork users need not apply)

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 21:07:51 -0500

Patrick Greene said:

> I still use the C temp.  I always wondered what you called the method I
use.
> I use that method, but a couple of my tuner friends have told me that it
is
> out dated and the A temp is better.  I am worried that if I try to learn
it
> now, it will hinder my current tuning skills.  What do you think?

Patrick, if you don't mind me saying so,I seriously doubt that learning a
new method will 'hinder' your tuning skills. In my opinion, you're in the
same position as someone who wants to explore Historical Temperaments and
all they've ever tuned was ET.

Personally, I tune in 2 ET's, depending on the piano. If the piano is a
poorly scaled spinet (i know..i know) or a small Grand (usually under 5'),
then I tune in a A-A Temperament as opposed to F-F. Why?..because I feel I
get a better sounding break area from tuning A-A. Is it measurable?
Probably, but I have never bothered to measure it. I 'feel' the piano sounds
better, so if I feel that way, then chances are it does.

I don't know if one method is better than the next, or if one is 'outdated'
as opposed to 'updated', but I thought we all(or most of us) agreed that it
doesn't matter how you get there as long as you _do_ get there...right?

If somebody were to hand me an 'inferior'! C fork and said 'tune this
piano', it wouldn't bother me in the least..i would see it as a challenge to
my abilities..and i'm confident enough to say that I would do a good job
with it. The aurals checks are the same..they just happen to fall onto
different notes.

There are certain methods that have become more 'acceptable' to teach than
others, but that doesn't make the others outdated in my opinion.

I say explore..otherwise you'll never know.

roo(k)