$450.00 Bass strings???????

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 07:28:24 -0800

Hi Tom
I'll see if I can clear this up.  Have enjoyed the toughts of thinking
people on this list. Thanks to Terry,Dave Love ,Bill B. ,Paul R.J. and
others for reason feed on $450.00 bass strings.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Cole" <tcole@cruzio.com>
To: "Erwinpiano" <Erwinpiano@email.msn.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2001 8:01 PM
Subject: Re: $450.00 Bass strings???????

> Dale,
>
> Thanks for the reply. A couple of comments:
>
> I'd heard that GC is not taking orders from new clients. Is that true?

   I don't believe this is true but will see if I can confirm that for you.

> Does Danny rescale for free? When Sandersons rescale they do the whole
> piano for $100, not just the bass. Thought I'd clarify.

  Good question.  The bass string scaling cost are usually included in the
price.  On the occassion of needing a readout on a complete scale the charge
was a mear $20.00.  However that very well could be the good customer
discount. A personal inquiry would answer that.

> Incidentally, I don't know that Dave's strings are any better than
> Danny's and I'm not trying to promote one over the other. The ones I've
> heard all sounded fine but I haven't done that many sets. What I do like
> is that you make marks on all the old strings (1/2" from terminations)
> and send them in. The strings he makes _have_ to fit and they're
> guaranteed if there's any problem. I'm definitely burned out on the too
> frequent Mapes snafus.

       I couldn't agree more. Confidence and trust is a wonderful thing.
The elimination of a headache is often welcome at any price. (Been there
done that)
    Same is tru for G.C. strings.  I always send a pattern(Steinways &
Masons can very ) and include a direct speaking length measurement of first
and last bi and monochords plus the I.D. and O.D. so that he can get a feel
for how right or wrong  the originals were.  When following this method my
wraps end up 1/2" from each terminus.  You gotta love it.
      Thanks
      Dale Erwin
     G. C. BAss String Co. 1-416-755-7109
      Sanderson Bass string  I beleive it's the same no. as acu- tuner.
Could somebody post this please

> Tom
>
> Erwinpiano wrote:
> >
> > Hi Tom
> >
> >    Thanks for the nice comments on my BB.  Also appreciate info and
feedback
> > on the Sanderson( acu-strings)Strings.  Since Terry Farrell intiated
this
> > topic I've been thinking about the price differences between the G.C.
> > strings & the acu-strings.
> >     I dug out my G.C. price list for a string cost comparison between
the
> > two makers.  Danny at G.C. has a complete price list available upon
request.
> > He has a progressive list as opposed to one price fits all  no matter
what
> > length. Really it makes sense to me that longer strings use more copper
than
> > the short ones
> >
> >  I.E.The Sanderson( acu-strings) are $8.00 per string.   Where as
Steinway
> > models S thru A-3 onthe G.C. list are $4.75 to$5.48 per string which is
> > considerable difference.  For example a Steinway Model L or O has 42
> > strings.  The Brand S. string set would be $336.00. The brand G.C. set
is
> > $214.00.  The3 bridgeA has 57 strings(has 2 bi's and 3 tri's in tenor)
The
> > comparison there is  brand S. at $506.00 (Yikes) and theG.C. at $270.00.
> > The place the two makers get closer in price is only at the Model D
sets.
> > Once again Brand S. at $312.00 and G.C. at $284.70 and $296.38.  The
later
> > price is for the set with double wrapped mono chords and I highly
recommend
> > it on all pianos(The sound is just cleaner) I honestly don't know why
> > Steinway didn't do that forever espeially onther shorter pianos.
> >    Any way, over all the Sanderson string is considerably more expensive
> > overall( an average of roughly $125.00) plus the scaling if needed. ARE
THEY
> > REALLY WORTH  IT.  I guess I here some of you are saying yes and as you
> > concurred Tom, if you have excellant sound and hassle free service there
not
> > that much more. As for me I'm yet unconvinced. Perhaps I'll be
persuaded. To
> > each there own. But Hey ain't it grand to get your strings from piano
techs.
> > as both makers are!
> >
> >       Just food for thought. Do you all mark up your parts prices or are
we
> > just performing charitable act  of rebuilding skills.I.E. OH Dear
Mr./Mrs,