Pitch and brightness

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Mon, 05 Mar 2001 10:31:14 -0500

Grin---this came out longer then I planned, but its good
Perhaps you were jesting but, its actually a good question,
why not just put everything up a semitone

That would really change everything technically.

Imagine relearning a major piano concerto a pianist has played their whole
life in c major, in C# major. It may never quite settle right.

Aside from this, raising the pitch makes things brighter, but changing the
key technically changes everything for the performer. An A for clarinet
solo changed to a Bb is much stuffier, does not speak as well, requires
resonant fingering tricks, and would not naturally sound as bright even though
it is up a semitone.(without extra effort). We work harder to make a Bb sound
the same as an A that speaks better, or a C that really resonates well.
When a passage sounds smooth, it is only because of years of training
learning to compensate for the horns tendencies.

Orchestrally......for example:

The Mozart Clarinet Concerto is written in C for A Clarinet.
The opening alone G----E--F-A-G-F-E-E just would
not be the same in C# major. Certain notes resonate better
then others on the clarinet and he wrote for the Clarinet
to fall in just the right place. Part of the beauty of this concerto
is how perfectly, simply, and beautifully it is sensibly written
around the best good resonant notes that speak and
fall naturally for the performer. He knew some notes are stuffier
then others, some more focused then others technicially. We
learn to compensate for this, and have tricks, like resonant fingerings,
embrasure, and tongue adjustments to even it out. But when
a composer writes for a horns natural tendencies, some of
the best material is written.

Yes we can compensate for alternate keys,
But when a smart composer takes advantage and writes for
the most advantageous, resonant placement for ease of voicing
tone it can be so beautiful.

The Beethoven 6 clarinet solos executed on Bb clarinet
in Ab major instead of G would not fall under the fingers right, and the
flow of it be very difficult. The beautiful slow movement solo is in
C for Bb clarinet with nice open resonant C's D's, E's, and
open G's as good pivotal resonant melodic notes. Change this to C#,
D#, E#, and the G# that tends to be stuffy, and it would not feel
or sound the same at any adjusted tuning of A435-448 by virtue
of technical qualities of those notes on the horn. Perhaps someone
could make it sound convincing but at considerable effort.
In orchestral writing composers often(not always) consider the keys
they are writing for.

We spend a lifetime learning to execute that repertoire.
Much of it is difficult enough without having to relearn it all in awkward keys.

                                                         Cheers
                                                          Dave Renaud
                                                          RPT
                                                          (Have clarinets will