strange FAC (SAT) numbers

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Mon, 05 Mar 2001 13:58:21 -0800

Setting up to tune a very old "Broadwood" grand over the weekend. Partially
rebuilt with new pinblock, pins and strings. However, I have a strong
suspicion that the scaling was pretty poor. After muting the piano as usual,
i attempted to take the standard FAC measurments, (twice to make sure) but
found the following numbers: 12, 2.4, 1.6! We obviously know that high
numbers such as 23 for the F reading, followed by, for instance 8 and 12
would indicate a poorly scaled piano...but what about excessively LOW
numbers?

Terry Peterson
Precision Piano Service
Torrance, CA