'C' fork users only (inferior 'A' fork users need not apply)

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Mon, 05 Mar 2001 13:51:09 -0800

Pat,

When I was learning to tune, my teacher, Bob Erlandson of WIT, used a
C523.7 fork and that was the way I tuned.  Years later I decided since
pitch is always taken from A440 or the A4 key I should endeavor to tune
from that frequency.  That is the only reason I changed.  If you can tune
aurally with a C fork, the A fork won't be much different.  You will have
to change your pattern...Tom Cole mentioned a class with Bill Garlick,
which I also took, where each victim, er...student, came up and tuned one
note only.  The next tuner used the notes already tuned before him to make
his decision on the note he decided to tune.  The patterns were not your
typical variety and it didn't matter!  If you know your aural checks there
is no problem other than the change of habit.  There are many temperments
out their to try but if you decide to go to an A fork I suggest you go all
out and use the two octave, contiguous 3rds temperment.  This will set the
beats of your 3rds to the piano you are tuning.

I don't use a fork anymore (I do carry one...it helps the customer to hear
how far off there piano is...I can then demonstrate the ETD and give them a
visual of the pitch difference if any).  I rely on my SAT III to get me
very close and then use mainly single octave/double octaves and even
progression of fast beating intervals as my aural checks.  IMHO the tuning
fork as a reference is nearly archaic but not the ear...FLAMESUIT ON...

David I.