personal discovery

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Mon, 05 Mar 2001 16:30:46 -0800

List,

So I'm here in the shop finishing up a Steinway M.  I noticed a wobbly
damper lever (dampers already rough regulated).  I put it off until finally
I decided I couldn't leave it.  I pulled the dampers and the underlever
system to  fix the problem.  Pinning was loose so I popped off the
lever/flange and repinned and then reglued and clamped.  I looked at back
at the piano and thought..."Hey this would be a good time to finish up the
let-off!"  So I installed the action and found I was able to align the
hammers, do let-off/drop, level strings and whatever I can think of.   WOW!
 This is the way to do it if your rebuilding a grand.  Restring, hang your
hammers rebuild action, whatever and then regulate the action with the
dampers out of the way.  Install your dampers at the end of the job...this
is probably common knowledge to everyone except me (and I've thought of it
but never actually did it)but if anyone hasn't tried this give it a shot!

David Ilvedson, RPT