Pinbock thickness

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 21:38:12 EST

In a message dated 3/5/01 11:10:09 AM Central Standard Time,
studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com writes:

> A Knabe grand pinblock originally 1 3/4" thick.
> Sits on the shelf, with wood shims(thin), elevating the
> block/plate, to the proper level. Block ends are into the rim about 1/2
> inch.
>
> The distance from the plate to the bottom of the flange is only 1 1/2
> inches.
> So what is so stop me from using a 1 1/2" block and shimming
> the shelf the extra 1/4". It is screwed/glued down to the shelf away.
> If it is important to use a 1 3/4" block, why is it important?
>
> I ask as I have the 1 1/2" block material in stock, not 1 3/4"
> I am only considering if this may be an option,
> consulting with several experts that know better,
> including this list.
>
>                                  Thank You
>                                  Dave Renaud

The 1 1/2 inch pin block will work, with the extra shims. Just make sure you
use shorter tuning pins than originally came out of the block. As a rule, I
always use 1 3/8" tuning pins, regardless of what came out of the piano,
unless I can see that the plate is extra thick.

Willem