Knabe grand agraffe search

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 21:41:37 EST

In a message dated 3/5/2001 8:27:21 PM Central Standard Time,
kam544@flash.net writes:

<< further down from the top on the one I have in stock
 than the original Knabe agraffe. >>

Keith:
Does this mean that 1)the measurement from the top of the agraffe head to the
holes is different or that 2) the measurement from the top of the shoulder of
the agraffe to the holes is different, and, coincidentally but most
important, 3) is the thickness of the shoulders the same between the two.
If (1) is true but all else is equal, then you have no problem except the
cosmetic one of one agraffe sticking up higher than its surroundings.
If (2) is true, then you have an issue to resolve either by moving the
agraffe up or down with shims or shaving, but
If both (2) and (3) are true, you may have a problem with sufficient
dimension to work with.
The result of the proximity of the holes will be that the damper will sit up
a bit higher than the others unless you precompress the felt to accomodate
the narrower string dimension. The most important thing would be to have a
flat string plane which really means that you have to get the holes at the
same height; I have for years been using a small plexiglass jig of my own
design to check the up/down position of agraffes as I reinstall them, aside
from the patterns I make and measurement of general height. If you want more
info on that let me know.
PR-J