Parts Markup, was: $450.00 Bass strings

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 22:28:17 -0600

>>"....why do we need to mark up parts at all...."
>> Paul R-J
>Maybe others will add more reasons...
>Terry Farrell...

Paul, List,

I'm not certain I understand your question, Paul, but Terry has provided
some valid reasons for doing such a thing for himself I trust.

Of course, the real answer to your question is, no one needs to mark up
parts at all.  It's an executive decision made by each person who runs a
business.  Personally, I choose to do such a thing because I spend specific
time to keep an inventory via researching, ordering, administrating,
stocking, updating, keeping abreast of current piano service trends that
occur in the area I service, and by doing these things, I have deemed they
are not monetarily recoverable by any other area of piano activity time I
have to offer.

It's much the same thing as charging mileage for travel, charging for
tunings, charging for pitch changes, charging for repairs, etc.  They are
all areas of involvement that take some degree of expertise on my part and
some degree of time to perform.

Now, once again, no one needs to do this, or do it for the reasons I have
stated, but I have chosen to do this based on past experience and
association with others teaching me it's sound business practice.  Seems
elementary to me now, of course, in hindsight.

Sincerely,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731