Polyester Repair

Paul McCloud pmc333@earthlink.net
Tue, 06 Mar 2001 21:52:11 -0800

Doing polyester repair isn't rocket science, but it does require the
right materials and methods.  I agree with the guy who said to get the
Konig system polyester.  It's thinner, so it will fill the nooks and
crannys of your damaged area, and it dries fast.  I do a lot of
polyester repair at the store where I work, so if you have any
questions, feel free to email me.
    Basically, be sure to bevel the edges of the damaged area about 45
degrees.  Too shallow bevel will sometimes cause problems in buffing.
You don't need a buffer machine if you have the right compounds and
sandpaper.  Keep your sandpaper clean.  I have used Meguiar's products,
Mohawk products, and others besides the Konig.  I have just discovered
the best compound yet- made by Blue Magic.  You can find it in the auto
parts stores.  If you rub long enough with it, it will buff out
scratches from 1000 grit paper enough so it's very shiny.  Though you
could use one final compound to improve it.
    If you are repairing clear poly over wood color, good luck.  If the
color is still there, you're ok.  If not...
    Mix your poly carefully.  If you use the thicker poly, be careful
about bubbles.  I don't use it much, since I hate bubbles in the
finish.  Stir slowly.
    So, good luck.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego