Broken arm

Lwellerrpt@AOL.COM Lwellerrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 12:08:11 EST

Hi All-

Last night I was making my calls and this one made me lose a lot of sleep:

I called the house, got the mom, she sounded hesitant.  "Hold on, I'll ask my
husband if he wants the piano tuned again."

When she came back on, she said, "No, he says it's still fine"

Me: "Is your son still taking lessons with Kevin?"

Her: "Actually, no.  A month after you tuned the piano, our son tripped, fell
and broke his arm.  It was the kind of break where he lost the use of his
arm.
He's had surgery and he's in for many more.  It's been a year already and his
hand is always palm-up.  They're going to do a surgery where he'll be able to
hold his thumb up, and he can grab.

We've heard about a woman who lost the use of her hand and still went on
playing.  We'd love for our son to learn music.  There isn't a time where he
walks by the piano when he doesn't touch the keys."

I suggested voice lessons, trumpet, and if he gets his hand to grab, the
trombone.
I also told her about the graduate student who has one arm, got a masters'
degree in conducting and plays trumpet very well.  She was encouraged.

I guess what I'm asking for is any referrals to other one handed players or
ideas for this boy to continue learning music.

Lisa Weller, RPT
Los Alamitos, CA