Grey Market Pianos?

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Tue, 06 Mar 2001 10:59:51 -0700

At 09:08 AM 3/6/2001 -0800, Joe G wrote:

>I have a client, who bought their Grand Piano in South Africa. They have
>since moved to Oregon. This is a rather odd construction piano w/water
>pipe for pedal lyre columns!

Got a picture you can upload to the EGroup by chance?

>It is a Yamaha. Would this piano be considered a Grey Market Piano? If so,
>then why should they be denied proper parts and service, just because they
>once lived in South Africa and LEGALLY PURCHASED it from a Yamaha Dealer?
>At present time, the piano does not have any problems, but if and when it
>does, what am I going to tell them? Somethings wrong with this picture!
>Any comments would be appreciated.

This is just a personal observation, but I suspect there are two
differences here: "provenance" and warranty.  This isn't just another
imported piano from an unknown practice room in Tokyo purchased from a
fly-by-night dealer somewhere. If it's still under warranty and the
original warranty reads "world-wide" they have to support the warranty.

In addition, the piano still belongs to the original purchaser, so until
they sell it, it hasn't been on any shade of market at all, grey, black or
whatever. That being said, if it's off warranty I doubt Yamaha USA could
"support" the piano any more than Volkswagon USA would be able to support
an imported Mexican Beetle.

An imported Mexican Beetle would be a good example of a "grey market"
product if it were possible to register them here. The State won't sanction
them because the serial numbers show they don't pass American safety
standards. Grey market pianos don't have "safety standards" as such, but
there are other standards such as moisture content when built that they
fail to meet, so the manufacturer won't sanction them. In both cases the
rules are designed to protect the consumer.

That's my comment, anyway. I'd like to see that piano!

                 John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
email: john@musselwhite.com    http://www.mp3.com/fatbottom