'C' fork users only (inferior 'A' fork users need not apply)

Dick Beaton rbeaton@initco.net
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 13:37:12 -0800

Re: 'C' fork users only (inferior 'A' fork users need not apply)Did you =
ever check the frequency of the A after starting with a C fork?  Becha =
it wont be exactly A=3D440

Dick MT

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: thepianoarts=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, March 05, 2001 8:44 PM
  Subject: Re: 'C' fork users only (inferior 'A' fork users need not =
apply)

  Dave,

   For clairty, would you summarize your temperment pattern, without =
checks, after you have set the fork into the piano, and established the =
octave with?=20

  For example:

  >From C-3 - up  3 - Mj. contigious thirds to C-4

  >From C-4, down a fifth to C#-3

  Etc.

  Also, you you list what checks do you commonly use for setting your =
temperment? I am asking, because personally I am slow to introduce new =
checks into my work, as I am a creature of habit, and hope to learn how =
others have refined their temperments.=20
       Not too long ago I started using the lovely and useful check for =
a forth: that is  comparing the beat rates of the 3 rd. below the bottom =
note (Mj 3rd.) to the 6 made to the top note of the 4th.  As you know, =
this test reveals a much more 'countable' difference, compared to 'just' =
the plain forth.=20

  Dan Reed

  Dallas chapter