Other aural pitches

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Tue, 06 Mar 2001 22:13:47 -0700 (MST)

Someone wrote recently that to go from A440 to A441, one must tune 4
beats/sec. sharp to the fork. This was confusing cents with beats.

At A440, there are four cents per beat change, so, from 440 to 441,
one needs to increase the pitch by only 1 bps from the fork.

Likewise to go from 440 to 442, one needs to tune sharp to the fork by 2
beats/sec (bps). ETD users must add 8 cents for A442.

While I'm at it, I might as well mention that at 880 Hz, there are
only 2 cents per beat variation. And at 1760 there is only 1 cent per
beat variation.

Jim Coleman, Sr.