Parts Markup, was: $450.00 Bass strings

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Wed, 07 Mar 2001 05:32:37 -0000

One of the problems with marking up parts is that the price we get them for
is not truly wholesale.  Fact is, anybody can order those parts and get them
for the same price we do.  Some vendors claim that the prices they give us
are wholesale and offer a suggested retail price, others do not.  I have had
clients order parts from Steinway, Renner, Yamaha, Schaff, and the prices
they got were no different than the ones I pay.  That puts me in an awkward
position if, say, I double the price, as Schaff recommends, and the customer
is privy to the cost.  Consequently, I add a handling charge that is
appropriate to the part that compensates me for my time.  Some orders are
very straight forward, others are not.  It doesn't follow any particular
formula.  Most of what we offer is labor/expertise.  The parts costs in
doing a complete belly job are relatively small compared to the labor.  Even
in a total action rebuild where the parts costs are higher as a percentage
of the job, that percentage probably represents only about 25% max of the
total cost of the job.

Dale:  I believe the state extortionists only require that you add tax on
parts, not labor, and if the subcontracting tech pays you the tax, it should
not be charged again to his customer.  Of course, since you are selling
pianos, you would need the resale #.

David Love