future of the acoustic piano

Thu, 08 Mar 2001 10:37:30 +0100

Ron Overs wrote:

an extremely well put together posting as is is wont.

I did want to address one excerpt in serious tone tho

>>A model that is quite extraordinary is the new Technics SX-PC25,
>>which sells for under $1700. Tone and action are quite good. . . it
>>and compares it to a decent 6' grand. It would be difficult for most
>>people to tell the difference-it's that good.

>I remain unconvinced (at this point in time at least) re the
>suitability of the digital alternative for concert use. While the use
>of digitals as part of an orchestra may be tolerable in some
>instances - how could anyone take them seriously as a soloist's
>instrument.

While I aggree Ron, that probably any of us and a large majority of concert
pianists would react similiarilly to electronic pianos such as you and Tony
describe, I am not sure that this will impact the future direction the piano
making industry will take. In spite of everything.... the total number of piano
techs, and such musicians is probably weeeelllll short of a large enough grouping
to sustain the industry over the long term.

When these electronic pianos become good enough...and theyare very close to that
now... there are some simple economics and logistics that I am afraid point
towards a very uncertain future for the acoustic variant.  1, they are
portable....2, they "never" need to be tuned... 3, they take up so little
space... 4, you dont ever have to worry about the climate wrecking the soundboard
etc... 5,  (and this is in the end the killer) you can have basically any concert
piano in any concert hall in the world for less money then it costs to buy a
cheapo piece of bonified acoustic junk (read lowest end of market piano)
available.

This is what sales folks will be telling Martha and Bill on the street... and as
soon as enough of them believe that sales pitch.... we'sa in trouble boss...grin.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.