future of the acoustic piano

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Thu, 08 Mar 2001 09:26:39 -0600

Hi all,

I know the local orchestra here uses a keyboard instead of the celeste that
they own. This has led to at least one performance of the sugar plum
elephants as the keyboardist played the score one octave too low in concert.

It is beyond me why the conductor can not hear the difference.

I'm sure that 50 years ago no concert artist worth his salt would have been
happy with plastic keytops. Now they are standard fare.

Like it or not digital keyboards are "invading" the concert platform.
Expect to see this more, not less, as time goes on. The classical music
people will be the last bastion of the concert piano, but with ever rising
costs and lots of worn out instruments the smaller centers will end up with
ersatz piano sounds.

When I am asked my opinion of keyboards I ask three simple questions. Does
it look like a piano? (if they answer yes, then I ask exactly like one?)
Does it sound like a piano? Does it feel like a piano?

If it doesn't quack like a duck, look like a duck, nor waddle like a duck I
guess it is NOT a duck.

Regards,

mailto:drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.xoasis.com/