pianotech-digest V2001 #309

Thu, 8 Mar 2001 07:25:55 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Caught" <caute@optusnet.com.au>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: March 08, 2001 12:06 AM
Subject: Re: pianotech-digest V2001 #309

> Re: Inadvertent pitch raise with SAT IIIMark,
>
> People are buying what sales people are selling them.
>
> Manufacturers are making what they want and as they believe that price
sells
> pianos, they are price consious in what they make.
>
> Many dealers want and importers (who are generally marketing type people)
> whant something that will be better than the oppositions product at, if
> possible, the same price.
>
> We, as technicians have very little influence on the market place.

I'm not sure I agree with this entirely either.

I've encountered altogether to many piano owners who ended up with pianos
they don't really like the sound of that were purchased because their piano
tuners recommended them. Or told them they were really great pianos.

It seems piano tuners very often recommend pianos they like tuning. And
pianos that tune well don't always make good music.

Piano tuners can be very influential in all this. A fact which some
manufacturers realized early on, hence the multi-thousand dollar receptions,
parties, concerts, etc. at the various PTG functions. Those aren't given to
say thank you, they are given so that we all will leave with warm fuzzies
that will last until out there in Mrs Jones living room and she asks if the
Bauble Creek Super Majestic piano is a good piano.

Regards,

Del