future of the acoustic piano

Charles Neuman cneuman@phy.duke.edu
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:57:17 -0500 (EST)

Don <drose@dlcwest.com> wrote:

> I wonder if anyone has applied "chaos" theory to soundboards. Has anyone
> "proved" it is impossible to predict sound board responses and duplicate
> them electronically?

If you're interested, there's a physics professor at Duke University named
Stephen Teitsworth who did/does research in this particular area of
research (quoted from his web page): "the experimental search for quantum
chaos effects in vibrating metal plates using holographic interferometry."
I remember seeing some of his results in the form of neat graphical
representations of the vibrations in different shaped metal sheets. I
don't remember if there were any conclusions.

When I get a chance, I can try to find if there are any publications.
However, as with most basic physics research, it will likely be more
"interesting" than "useful".

Charles Neuman
Plainview, NY