future of the acoustic piano

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Thu, 08 Mar 2001 13:56:30 -0600

Hi Ron,

I believe that due to chaos theory it has been proved that weather can
*not* be predicted no matter how many data points are gathered and no
matter how many terraflops are used for computing power. It would be nice
to know if soundboards and sound production by them fall inside or outside
the catagory.

Your analogy brings the idea of quantum (spelling anyone) into the
arena--where sometimes looking at something changes its state. I.E. you can
know the location of a particle exactly but not its energy level, *OR* you
can know its energy level but not its location.

At 01:21 PM 3/8/01 -0600, you wrote:
>>I wonder if anyone has applied "chaos" theory to soundboards. Has anyone
>>"proved" it is impossible to predict sound board responses and duplicate
>>them electronically?
>Hi Don,
<snip>
> With
>a complete knowledge of the characteristics of every particle and force in
>a system, there are no surprises and the status of the system can be worked
>out by crunching all the numbers from the interactions from the point of
>initialization of the system - if you have the computing power.

Regards,

mailto:drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.xoasis.com/

3004 Grant Rd.