future of the acoustic piano

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Fri, 09 Mar 2001 11:13:47 -0500

Daniel Lindholm wrote:

> As someone mentioned on this list before, it could be a good start though.
> Especially for those who live in an apartment and have picky
> neighbours.....snip..

I tell clients.
A digital piano has certain advantages, and has a place in my kit.
But be aware, it is a computer. In three years it is obsolete. In 10 years
it will be junk when it breaks and you can't get parts. It is still a computer.
So I don't consider it a "good start".  A first piano should be a recoverable
financial investment. Put the money towards an upgrade one day.

Even as a piano tech. I would rather listen to a digital piano on a big
stage for a pops concert, then an acoustic piano with poor pic up/amplification
techniques. It is difficult to mic a piano well, especially on a large noisy
stage. The
end product for the audience becomes electronic anyway. Most of what will be
heard
of what was acoustic sound is processed through all sorts of amplifies,
eq, compressors anyway. I would rather listen to a sound that was properly
miced and sampled in a multimillion dollar studio then poorly picked up on a
noisy
stage(unless done well) .

Back to the client. I have three points.

1) value. There is value in an acoustic piano. The keyboard will devalue
    like any computer.

2) Heritage. How many times have I been asked to rebuild Grandmas
    piano because it meant something. How many things do you own
    that you expect to be functioning in 50 years. Its is a physical link
    with the past.

3) Art /expression /love /family. So many intangible things to teach our
children.
    in an age where everything is disposable. Do you really want a disposable
    item to teach your children about art. About what makes humanity.

That said, I tell them I own a digital piano. It has a place in my performance
kit.
Some of the halls, & convention rooms need it. The pianos are either
unplayable, or if they are decent, sometime impossible for me to mic
properly. But I hate spending money on computer stuff almost as much
as cars, because they are so disposable.

                                                        Cheers
                                                         Dave Renaud
                                                         RPT