Bad Break

Carol R. Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 11:32:30 -0500

Well, the unthinkable happened yesterday, and I wished I had been more
prepared for it.  I somehow managed to fall off the 4-inch step on my front
porch and broke my left ankle and right hand.  That combination makes
getting around most difficult as I can't use crutches.  The doctor says to
stay in bed for a week with my foot propped up higher than my heart to
prevent swelling.  No piano work for about 6 weeks.

This whole incident reminds me about being self-employed.  How importatnt it
is to have savings in the event we can't work.  I have never been a good
money handling poster child, but did take advantage of contributing 11% of
my salary into a 401K plan for several years during the early 1990s when I
worked for a dealer.  Thank goodness for this cash backup if I need it!  My
point is that it is always a good idea to put SOMETHING back as you would
probably never miss $5 per tuning and you certainly NEVER know when an
accident might happen to you.  Be prepared!

Carol Beigel
Greenbelt, Maryland