New Baldwin L Advice

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 12:06:59 -0500

From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2001 4:39 AM
Subject: New Baldwin L Advice

 I'm hoping one of you that has some experience with new Baldwin Ls
might share a bit of advice with me. I will be
inspecting a new Baldwin L for a client this coming Monday. My normal
routine for inspecting a new piano is to tune it (I really focus in on false
beats - I hate them!), check action touchweight, and look for proper
function and alignment of everything I can get at. I am curious what anyone
typically finds is required as dealer prep on these pianos. Info on
normal range of prep tasks could really help me more productively focus
my attention during the inspection.

In addition to what you find to be required prep, I have the following
specific questions:

How is the pinblock attached? Screwed/doweled/mortised to rim? Glued/doweled
to stretcher?

Is the satin ebony lacquer?

Is it true that these pianos now have Renner hammers? Would these be Renner
Blue?

What is factory spec touchweight?

Is the Baldwin soundboard radius crowned?

I read that the bridges are vertically laminated maple. Is there a
quartersawn bridgecap?

Any info regarding these questions will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com