Why?

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 12:30:22 EST

In a message dated 3/10/01 10:47:35 AM Central Standard Time,
tito@PhilBondi.com (Phil Bondi) writes:

<< The note played just fine until the damper pedal was depressed.

 (snip)
 Is there something I missed in my trouble-shooting that will cause this
 problem to surface again?..and why would this note only stick when the
 damper pedal was depressed? >>

This is a very common complaint.  I saw this post well after you have already
had good responses but I'd like to elaborate a bit.

There are at least 100 problems that a customer might identify as a "sticking
key".  I remember a list from about 20 years ago entitled "101 Causes for
Sticking Keys".  Just as with elusive noises in the piano, there may be more
than one source for a "sticking key" problem.  It takes a good diagnostic
prodedure to resolve the problem entirely.

You were correct to rule out a tight center in the wippen flange because
there is no reason why you could not have *both* a tight center *and* a tight
key bushing or keypin hole.  For that matter, they could *all* be tight or
any combination may be.

Usually, however, the common complaint that the key sticks only when the
damper pedal is depressed means that there is only *marginal* tightness in
one of these places.  The damper lever spring is usually very strong so it
serves to push back against the spoon much the way the repetition spring in a
grand wippen pushes against the key, aiding return.  Pressing the pedal takes
the spring out of the works.

Coincidentally, the last piano of the day for me yesterday had this very same
problem.  I detected some sluggishness in a few keys when tuning and saw that
with the damper pedal depressed, they stuck right down.  It was a Baldwin
Console.  I removed the keystop rail and the music shelf supports so I could
lift the fallboard to ease some keys.  (The fallboard itself is tricky and
difficult to remove and replace on these, so if I don't really need to remove
it, I don't.)

Even upon finishing the job, I depressed the damper pedal to play a big F
Major arpeggio and F2 stuck right down even though I had no problem with it
when tuning.  I decided this meant that I should check *all* keys with the
pedal down just to make sure I wouldn't have a call back complaint about keys
still sticking.

Whenever there is a general sticking key problem where you have determined
that the friction is in the keys themselves, it is a good idea to remove the
action (if it can be done easily) in a vertical or the action stack in a
grand, lift out the keys, vacuum, then lube the keypins, bushings and keypin
holes.  Protek works well for this but I usually use the "Wet Lube" from
Schaff Piano Supply.  There are other good lubes but Silicone based lubes and
WD-40 are *NOT* recommended.

After cleaning and lubing the keys and keyframe, you should find that the
keys move much better with a minimum of easing required.  When easing,
determine *first* which of the 3 points is sticking:  keypin hole, balance
rail bushing or front rail bushing.  To do this, drop the key down on the
balance rail pin.  If it is the keypin hole which is tight, it will not drop
or will drag noticeably.  If it is the balance rail bushing, it will catch
there.  Once these two points are shown to be free, then the front rail
bushing will feel tight if the problem is there.  You would feel virtually no
side play in such a circumstance.

This diagnostic procedure is important to avoid over easing of points which
are not tight to begin with.  Go *easy* with the keypin hole easer and easing
pliers.  These crush and deform the wood which weakens it.  They should be
used with gentle pressure.  In some cases, it may be better to remove a
little material rather than simply crunching the wood.  In the case of a
tight front rail bushing, make sure the front rail pin has not been or become
turned sideways.  If it is and it turns very easily, it may become turned
again by itself over time and the same problem will recur.  A little water
thin CA glue applied at the base (with the punchings removed) will tighten it
up to where it can only be turned with substantial force.

I hope this clarified a few things.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin