treatment for arthritis/hand pain

baoli liu baoli_liu@yahoo.com
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 12:00:49 -0800 (PST)

Some sugesstions:

practice another hand to tune;
use difren hammer/hammer technic as Terry said;
use ponder;
see a doctor to see what you really need.

Baoli Liu

--- Charles E Faulk <cfaulk2@juno.com> wrote:
> Terry,
>
> I've had similar problems in the past. I'm in my
> early 50's and
> periodically experience joint pains especially in my
> fourth and fifth
> fingers. My doctor refers to this as
> 'pre-arthritic', some comfort, huh?
> I've also run the gamut of wrist injuries and elbow
> pains. So much for my
> carping.
>
> The thing that has helped me the most is to change
> my tuning hammer and
> my technique. I'm presently using a home made hammer
> that is very light
> weight (11 1/2oz.) and at the same time a good 12"
> long. The handle has a
> teardrop shaped ball on the end nearly two inches in
> diameter and is
> relatively short. This kind of design gives me
> leverage without all the
> excess weight of most commercial hammers. I've been
> using it for about
> four months now and have noticed a considerable
> improvement in my tunings
> and far less stress on my fingers and arm.
>
> Also I've had to change my approach to tuning. I
> find, in general, that
> if I extend my tuning arm  almost straight and exert
> force on the tuning
> lever, I tend to use the muscles of my forearm and
> upper arm more
> efficiently. Because of the length and shape of my
> lever, I don't have to
> grip the handle tightly to move the pins. I also
> keep my wrist straight
> to avoid injury. I think, as we age, the idea of
> 'muscling' the pins into
> position with our fingers and wrist becomes a little
> less desirable not
> to mention painful.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Charles Faulk RPT
> Manhattan, KS

> ATTACHMENT part 2 message/rfc822
> From: "pianolover 88" <pianolover88@hotmail.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 21:29:47 -0800
> Subject: treatment for arthritis/hand pain

<HR>
<DIV>
<P>Lately my tuning hand is feeling some pain,
especially in the 3rd &amp; 4th knucke joint. I've had
this before and it usually dissapates within a few
days of the onset. Not sure of the cause, and since
i'm only in my early 40's, I'm hoping it's not
arthritis. But I was wondering if anyone has ever
tried ''glucosamine and/or chondroitin &quot;, and
experienced pain relief. I may have to even resort to
cortisone shots, but in the meantime, I'll drink green
tea, and cut back to just 3 tunings per day. Oh, I
also hear fish oil is helpful. What are your most
effective hand pain remedies?<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<P></P>Terry Peterson <BR>Precision Piano Service
<BR>Torrance, CA <BR><br clear=all><hr>Get your FREE
download of MSN Explorer at <a