New Baldwin L Advice

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 14:24:54 -0600

>In addition to what you find to be required prep, I have the following
>specific questions:

This doesn't necessarily represent a cross section, because I've only seen
one new L since the latest round of improvements were made. It needed, and
still needs, regulation. The ribs are mortised into the rim, and the killer
octave is MUCH improved - quite acceptable, unlike virtually all the other
new Ls I've heard for the last five years or so. The plate webbing holes
around the tuning pins is drilled out bigger for clearance of the tuning
pin, and I didn't see (or feel) a single pin riding the plate. In my
opinion, that alone greatly improves the pin feel when tuning. The pin
torque ranges were as usual.

>How is the pinblock attached? Screwed/doweled/mortised to rim? Glued/doweled
>to stretcher?

Nope/no/uh-uh. Nah/not. Let down the string tension, disconnect from bridge
pins, pull lag bolts, and the strung plate will lift right out. And no, I
don't consider that by itself to be a design or construction detriment or
defect.

>Is the satin ebony lacquer?

Don't know.

>Is it true that these pianos now have Renner hammers? Would these be Renner
>Blue?

I'm told Renner. Ask Roger about the details. He gets the brochures.

>What is factory spec touchweight?

Don't know, but I'd be curious to know how close the delivered piano is to
it, if you find out.

>Is the Baldwin soundboard radius crowned?

Yes, at a 72' radius. Whatever that's worth.

>I read that the bridges are vertically laminated maple. Is there a
>quartersawn bridgecap?

No cap. The bridges are vertically laminated from rotary cut maple, and
machine notched. It seems to be a good bridge overall.

>Any info regarding these questions will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks
>
>Terry Farrell

Ron N