key leads

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 07:15:32 -0500

At 03:14 AM 03/11/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>Dear Inquisitors:
>
>The initial post is as printed.  The down weight is high because a lead
>from the original leading pattern was removed.  The upweight and
>downweight will be fine if I replace the missing lead.  The customer does
>not wish to spend the money to redesign the action.  He simply wants the
>action returned to its original form by replacing the missing leads.
>The only issue at this point is whether I can find a 9/16" lead as
>originally came out of the piano, or whether I will have to expand a 1/2"
>lead to fit the hole.
>
>David Love

Unless you have a source for 15mm lead then you are going to have to drill
out to 5/8" and install that lead.
It would be a much faster than attempting to swedge-out a 1/2" lead to fit
the hole (I would not attempt this).
Unless you pre-size the leads in a mold first ( iron, steel, copper pipe).

But will the 1/2 > 9/16 swedged lead drop the weight suitably for him.  Is
it a front or back lead?  A front lead
will alter the BW by ~12g and a rear lead by ~6g.

Take a few sample weigh-offs and place a lead on the key and
recheck.  Place leads on the tops of the keys
over the holes in an octave and let the owner feel the change. He may opt
for the 5/8" installment.

Make certain the UW is reasonable, high friction can restrict how much lead
the system will accept.

Face it, the guy bought a cheap piano and does not want to spend money on
improvements.  Original
material is not available.  If he won't go for larger leads or hammer
filing/lightening then it is no longer
your problem.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician