Yamaha & Humidity

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 23:57:02 +0930

Hi List,

The other day I saw a Yamaha C108 model, built 1986/87 with the hammer =
felts sprung from the hammer woods. Not new to me but of interest (I =
hope) to many of you.

Sure, humidity has been high in Darwin over the last few months, 95% in =
the morning 80% in the afternoon with nice breezes blowing past the =
piano to keep it cool.

It appears that this same thing happened to this same piano about 5 =
years ago and a tuner who comes up to Darwin on holidays spent quite a =
bit of time clamping, glueing and tying cotton around the felts to keep =
them in place. It works, have done it myself a few times but, never on a =
piano that is still in its warranty period.

Yamaha Australia made a mistake about 15 years ago and imported a lot of =
these (not grey pianos) non tropical pianos into Australia to compete in =
price with the Korean pianos that was costing them market share.  These =
C 108's do not have staples or "T" rivets through the hammer felts and =
non waterproof glues are used through out. Not to mention all the other =
differences in seasoning timber etc. Though to me, the only physical =
differences I have noticed are the hammers lifting and the bridges =
coming apart at the angle joints.

The piano is in a nursing home run by the Salvation Army. I sent a fax =
down to Yamaha Australia and have just received a reply saying that they =
are going to send me a set of hammers at no charge to replace the =
hammers on this piano.

We know they should not have sold those pianos in Australia and down =
south they have no problems with them but they are still doing the right =
thing.

Thanks Yamaha.

Tony Caught ICPTG
Australia