pitch drop at A0

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:06:37 -0600

Hi All,

I had another opportunity to check pitch drop on A0. When I arrived pitch
was sharp on A0. All measurements were taken at E3.

The instrument:

Story and Clark 40" console serial # 531192

The conditions:

21 degrees C and 29% humidity

Pitch Change at A4 = 44 cents
Worst Note change  = 80 cents

The Method:

pitch correction done with Reyburn Cyber Tuner drawing Unisons as each note
was tuned. Impact lever with impact technique.

Pitch of A0 before tuning began
A0 = 11.77 at E3
tuned up to A1
A0 = 10.26
tuned up to A2
A0 =  8.73
tuned up to E3 (bass break)
A0 =  7.69
tuned up to A3
A0 =  8.16
tuned up to A4
A0 =  8.23
tuned up to F#5 (treble break)
A0 =  8.76
tuned up to A5
A0 =  9.24
tuned up to A6
A0 =  8.89
tuned up to A7
A0 = 11.19
tuning completed
A0 =  10.64

Some guesses as to what seems to be happening. After the bass break the
bottom note starts to reverse the pitch drop from added tension. I suspect
frame distortion.

What is useful? On pitch corrections if the bass is tuned first the tuner
gets *more* bang for the buck on the overpull than if the bass is done
last.

Regards,

mailto:drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.xoasis.com/