Baldwin key bushing removal

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 05:50:44 EST

<<>I am doing key rebushing on a 1993 Baldwin 243. The original glue is some
>gummy white stuff which does not come off very easily using water and
>wallpaper remover or a water/alcohol mixture. >>

I believe that is a thermo-plastic type of glue, good for fast production
lines, but horrible for restoration.   I use a multi-port steamer for my key
bushing removal, and these things take about twice the time to soften.  It is
also important to pull them out as quickly as you can, since as soon as they
begin to cool, the glue sets up again.
  Also, make sure that you have adhesion when you glue new bushings back it.
Hide glued will not always stick to the wood if there is plastic residue left
there.  You may need to reglue with PVC-E.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT