Pinblock Plugs

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 07:05:24 -0500

The epoxy I have used, and I believe what Roger Jolly uses, is West System
epoxy - and the entire philosophy of its engineering is to bond wood. It was
originally designed for cold molding wooden boats together. West System
becomes one with the wood.

But, I like your ideas. Especially the Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue. I have
used that in many other applications in the past a like it quite a bit. It
would certainly be easier to use in this application. All the gooey epoxy
was a bit problematic for me and can easily see that the Weldwood would be
easier. There are so many very good glues out there, that sometimes I find
it easy to forget one that you haven't used for a while!

Regarding the 3/4" plugs though. I have used 1/2" plugs and found that they
often overlap the edge of a neighbor plug - although not always. I should
think that some 3/4" plugs would overlap so much on closely spaced tuning
pins that the outside edge of the overlapping plug might overlap the target
tuning pin hole location on an overlapped plug (i.e. you might get a glue
joint going right through the tuning pin hole - or possibly worse, you might
get a fair segment of glue joint edge if the tuning pin hole just grazes the
edge of the overlapping plug). I guess this perhaps should not be a
problem - maybe - never had that occur with 1/2" plugs. Does that happen,
and do you think it is a potential problem? (Am I just worrying about
something that is NO WAY a problem?) I do however like the idea that you are
getting more interconnection between plugs and thereby strengthening a
weakened pinblock.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida