c to c temperament

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 06:26:39 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Howard S. Rosen=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 12:47 PM
  Subject: c to c temperament

  <!--StartFragment-->
    2.  Tune C3 to middle C.  Tune the A flat below C3 to get a =
countable =3D
  reference beat, then use the 3rd - 10th         octave check (3rd =3D
  slightly slower than the 10th).  You can also tune E flat 3 to a =3D
  countable rate and use         the 3rd - 6th octave check (both =3D
  intervals should beat about the same rate).

  **************

  Hi Dave,

  I have a question about your C to C temperament. Since the 3rd/10th =
and
  3rd/6th octave checks are both for a 4/2 octave, why do you suggest =
that the
  3rd beat slightly slower than the 10th, but in the other, you suggest =
that
  the minor 3rd beat the same as the major 6th?

  Howard S. Rosen, RPT
  7262 Angel Falls Ct.
  Boynton Beach, Fl  33437

  hsrosen@gate.net

  Sorry more than a week has gone by.  I have hundreds of messages from =
this list -- some I'll get to read; some I'll have to delete 'cause I =
just don't have time.  Glad I caught this one, though.  I can't respond =
fully because I've been up all night working in the shop and have to go =
to bed now.  I'd have to ponder a while, count partials, remember which =
numbers refer to which partials, etc., but I think the 3rd-10th test is =
for a 4:2 octave but the minor 3rd-Major 6th test (within the octave =
being tuned) is for a 3:6 or 6:3 octave.  I can't remember at this hour =
which is the upper and which is the lower note.  I'll have to review =
this and respond later.   Sorry . . .  Dave