Baldwin key bushing removal

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 08:34:26 -0600

Ed,

<<I believe that is a thermo-plastic type of glue, good for fast production
lines, but horrible for restoration.   I use a multi-port steamer for my key
bushing removal, and these things take about twice the time to soften.  It
is
also important to pull them out as quickly as you can, since as soon as they
begin to cool, the glue sets up again.>>

Thanks for your help. Yes, I noticed that getting them out of the mortise
quickly worked better.

<<Also, make sure that you have adhesion when you glue new bushings back it.
Hide glued will not always stick to the wood if there is plastic residue
left
there.  You may need to reglue with PVC-E. >>

OK, I was wondering which glue to use. Had thought about PVC-E, and will go
ahead with it on your suggestion. There is plastic residue in the mortise,
so I know that hide glue will work poorly in this situation. I have some
PVA--what is its primary use?

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS

mailto:jformsma@dixie-net.com