Baldwin key bushing removal

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 08:34:24 -0600

Ron,

<<I'm not sure what the stuff is (hide glue/whiting???) (marshmallow
fluff???), but it responds real nicely to steam or water+heat=.>>

After I had soaked the bushings 4 times with minimal success, I tried some
heat. Worked OK, and I'll try it again today. The last time I tried it last
night I removed the bushing immediately after, and it came out much more
cleanly. I will probably experiment more with heat today.

<<The hard part seems to be getting the removed bushings to let go of your
fingers or tweezers when you pick them out of the mortise. The little
suckers stick like grim death.>>

This was not a problem as much as was removing some wood fibers along with
the bushing.

Thanks for responding--lets me know I'm on the right track.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS

mailto:jformsma@dixie-net.com