new (OT)

Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:26:34 -0600

Del,

At 07:28 03/13/2001 -0800, you wrote:

>Many years ago -- even before Joe's and my time, back during the steamship
>age -- lignum vitae was used to fabricate the shaft and thrust bearings
>for propeller shafts. It was impervious to water -- its density is
>something like 1.05+ and has quite a lot of natural oil which protects it
>from decay and deterioration under water.

Not that many years ago, Del.

The last ship I was on, built in 1961, had lignum vitae bearings in the
propeller struts. (The ones underwater just in front of the props)  I saw
them when we were in drydock.

The inboard shaft bearings were babbitt (metal).  I doubt that the thrust
bearings were wood.  There would be no reason to be since they are also
inboard.  Ours were in the engine room between the reduction gears and the
aft bulkhead. Thrust bearings back at the prop would tend to lift the stern.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(319)-387-1204  //  Fax (319)-387-1076(Dept.office)

Education is the best defense against the media.