M&H A scale and rim movement

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 20:18:01 -0500

About positioning the plate, if you put the rim bolts in, all of them,
but just an eighth inch from tight you will find there is almost no
movement possible.  That IS the plate position.  The pinblock would
then need to be fitted to that position.

As for the horn wedge I am not surprised there is a larger gap.  This
is not unusual for a flexible plate like Masons used.  After you have
a few strings on and get a little tension on the plate you can then
place the wedge in place and it will stick.

How did you determine that the board lowered?  This is possible but
only if the strings were holding the board up above it's crown, if it
has any at all.  Have a careful look at that with a thread along the
longest rib along the surface of the board, not the rib.  That
information may well determine your approach to the rebuild.

As for the scaling, see my earlier post about this subject.  As for
the  bass strings, those will be on a scale stick at the string makers
or it can be rescaled from scratch with just he speaking lengths.

You have a good project on hand there.

		Newton