Pinblock Plugs

Wed, 14 Mar 2001 09:45:52 +0100

Farrell wrote:

> When I have plugged and used epoxy, I used the West System with a fairly
> thick mixture of their #??? high-strength adhesive filler. I made the holes
> bigger than the plugs so that there was a gap between plug and block
> material. I probably drilled a 9/16" hole for a 1/2" plug. I did that
> because I was concerned about keeping glue on all areas of the plug. I
> feared areas of no glue if I went for a tight fit with some other kind of
> glue/adhesive. Maybe its not realistic concern. But hey, for me, it was.

So... tell me... did the plug hold ?... did it stand up to pressure the pin puts
on it when the string is up to tension ?
I havent tried plugging much yet so  I have little experience with the
proceedure... I have read that there is some concern over the plug eventually
turning in the hole. Always seemed to me on the surface of it, that overlapping
plugs would counter that problem well enough.

We got any concensious about what works better here... tight fit, loose fit.. or
riveled fit ?

> Terry Farrell
> Piano Tuning & Service
> Tampa, Florida