Plastic Lakk

Wed, 14 Mar 2001 17:20:29 +0100

Hi List... ran into a piano today that had been dropped on its
back and the owners claim that the laquer shattered as a result.
There are certainly many long cracks in this very hard plastic
laquer. Sort of like the long cracks a car window can get.

I dont work on plastic laquer so I am wonderering if anyone out
there can tell me if these kinds of cracks in the lakk are
repairable, or does it mean basically that the piano has to be
stripped and refinished ? There are about 25 cracks  spread over
the whole piano, ranging from say 8 to 15 inches in length and
penetraiting the entire depth of the finish. In a couple places
it is already starting to loosen from the wood and flace up.

Anybody ???

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.