Music Desk Repair

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 06:44:14 -0500

Thank you Paul. Boy, it's really a mouthful to try and talk details about
little parts like that! Yes, the parts are cut and fit like a Steinway,
except there are no hinges on the bottom front of the folding part. Yes,
there is a bevel to the front crossmember. The hinge, or actually some kind
of simple rod, went from the inside edge of each end piece into the side of
the folding part. BUT, I think perhaps I can simply install two or three
hinges in the Steinway style, and all will be well. I described it to the
guy a Schaff and he seemed to know what I was talking about - he said that
yes indeed, it was some kind of compound hinge thing, and that I will never
find one anywhere. Anyway, that you very much for the idea, as I believe I
will now find success!

One small clarification: You said "......the opposite side would be flush
with the bottom edge of the panel." If "the hinge would be screwed into the
bottom front of the folding part (the panel that supports the music). The
folding part of the hinge would be up" OK, I'm with you there, we have one
side of the hinge screwed to the bottom front of the folding part with the
hinge side up, now where does the other side of the hinge attach? It must
either screw into the back side (beveled edge) of the front cross member
(which would mean that the hinge is completely closed (folded together) when
the folding part is up, or the other side of the hinge might be screwed to
the top of the front crossmember - which would function better, but  would
presumably be unsightly. Thanks again.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida