A=440

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 06:02:39 -0700

    I think the reason A=3D440 is considered "hallowed" is that =
supposedly most pianos built since 1917 or so are designed to be at that =
tension and should sound best at that tension.  Granted, a beat or two =
(A=3D442), doesn't change the tension that much, and maybe 4 beats at =
A49 (A=3D444) doesn't either, but the more conservative among us =
probably don't want to push the limit of what the designer had in mind.  =
Newer pianos can certainly "take it" -- they could probably "take" being =
a half or maybe even a whole step sharp, but would we be damaging the =
strings or soundboard or structural integrity?  Probably, but maybe not. =
 But why risk it?  I doubt there's ever much call tune a piano sharper =
than A=3D444, and that's rare.  If it's been sitting at 440 for years, =
I'd hesitate because the tuning would be unstable, not 'cause the piano =
couldn't take it (unless very old).  But at 440, you match the musical =
world, at least pretty close  -- radio, TV, record players, non-tunable =
instruments like vibes, xylophones, accordions, etc.    The notion that =
higher pitch equals brighter tone bothers me, however.      --David =
Nereson, RPT, Denver=20