Improving Projection..

David Stanwood dstanwood@hotmail.com
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:40:10 -0000

Dear Roo (k)

Strike Weights in the Full zone help tremendously.  I have had many
occasions to see the effect in Noisy restaurants...  The sound doesn't get
lost so much in the crowd of noise.  (Also better for ensemble playing in
concert halls.) I'm not talking loud, I'm talking sound presence in the
room. Another word for projection?

Taking some strike weight samples would tell you a lot.  Minimal sampling
recommended is notes 16,17,40,41,64,65 to get an idea of SW level across the
keyboard.  In fact this should be STANDARD PROCEDURE!
Please show us your data for a more educated discussion...
For some reason small pianos tend to get lighter hammers.  We've found that
smaller pianos with full zone hammer weights put out more sound...Sort of
like adding on extra length.

For a quick and reversable change try clipping on some "Small Binder Clips"
Available from stationary supply or Pianotek... Clip them on the end of the
shank and you'll see a big change in the tone.  This will bring up the
strike weight by about 1.0 grams.  Fuller tone and more energy in the room
will result.  If the hammers are a little hard this should improve the tone
also because heavier hammers take more hardening so long as resiliency in
the felt is not destroyed totally.
I would put clips on all the shanks and let them try it for a few nights.

If this makes the action too heavy there are ways and short cuts for that as
well...

Check out this drawing for how to use the clips...

http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/clipinfo.jpg

Simply said, Concert Weight hammers work better when you need more sound
energy.    That means Full zone strike weights.

Strike Weight Setup:

http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/swsetup.gif

Strike Weight Zones:

http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/sw-zones.jpg