Improving Projection..

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:29:48 EST

Newton:
I don't want to start a brawl, but I read your post with some misgivings,
particularly since you've been elected one of the "resident sages", or
rosemary's or oregano's or whatever.

First, all of the language of voicing is subjective within narrower and
broader ranges depending on the words used. For instance, we all recognize
"tinny". But do we all recognize "warm" or "powerful"? Are we mixing dynamic
ranges with color as well?

Second, large-scale (no pun intended) generalizations about the
characteristics of brands of hammers make me nervous. Maybe I'm just a
nervous type, but I've used all of the above hammers at one time or another
(with the exception of Isaac), and have been able to achieve a range of
results encompassing all of the above characteristics in one way or another
depending on the type of piano, type of player, and type of music played in
general.

Your other comments are well-spoken, however.
PR-J