Improving Projection..

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 19:28:06 -0500

Good points and well taken.

I am a god with the most clay of feet possible.  I am a man, old, tired and
crotchety and a lazy bum to boot.

Therein lies my choices.  I do not want to work any harder than I have to
so I pick my materials based upon the ultimate goal in terms of musician,
venue, piano, acoustics, touch, musical styles and other factors I have
learned to ignore or pay attention to.  I want good results with as little
work as I can get away with.

It is possible to make any hammer sound much like any other hammer but the
amount of work involved is far, far beyond what I am willing to devote to
the project so I pick a set that fits my needs and hope they do the job as
easy as I hope.  But we all know about Murphy...

I will not use anyone's hammers if they do not fit my goals but will choose
based upon the experiences I have ahd (I have used all those and some
others as well) and hope for the best.

I don't think a piano sounds best without some blood left behind but I
would rather leave blood than sweat and tears.

I will say that I have had the most difficult in making older Kawai hammers
sound like Ronson's in a practice room.  SO I changed the hammers to suit
my needs. The hammers just would not stay changed long enough for me.

My point is that if you want mellow sound do not use Imadigawa hammers and
if you want to real bright sound steer clear of Ronson hammers.  Pick the
material for the project.

anyway, I am just a retired old codger trying to mix it all up.  DOes that
make me a mixed up codger?

I do have to watch what I say don't I.  Darn, responsibilities,
responsibilities.

		Newton