Baldwin key bushing removal

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 22:08:29 -0600

Patrick,

Thanks for the tip. I've already finished the job, but will keep this idea
handy.

What I discovered was that steam worked best. I used a 50/50 alcohol/water
solution to wet the bushings, then inserted a custom brass tip that attached
to a 25W soldering iron (no steam generator yet). After doing a few, I was
able to notice exactly when the glue bond was loosening, so it was pretty
easy after that.

Some other things.... Alcohol worked best to clean the accumulated sticky
glue from my fingers. Tried acetone, alc/H2O solution, etc., but pure
alcohol worked best to dissolve the glue stuff. The balance rail bushings
were not glued with the same thing. Not sure what glue was used, but it was
not hide glue. Maybe PVC-E. I used PVC-E for the front rail bushings, which
worked well, and hide glue for the bal rail. I like hide glue the best, but
the process using PVC-E is very quick because you can apply glue for half
the keyboard without worrying about it drying prematurely. (I use the
Bushmaster and Spurlock cauls, although I am thinking about getting the
brass cauls from Pianotek. They look as if they would work better. Any
negative opinion out there?)

Thanks all for your help.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS