Randy Potter School Students and Alumni

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 07:18:17 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: euphoniac@juno.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2001 8:34 AM
  Subject: Randy Potter School Students and Alumni

  I have just begun studying the temperament chapter in the course and I
  need some help.  I understand that I need to be able to hear the beat
  rates for the intervals as I tune, BUT as a professional musician, I =
have
  never had to listen to beat rates.  I only needed to learn to play in
  tune with others.  So. . . what did you do to sharpen your skills with
  the beat rates?  Any help would be appreciated.=20

  If any listers want to send me tips, I'd appreciate that as well.

  Sincerely,

  Don Palmire
  Euphonium
  The U.S. Army Band ("Pershing's Own"), Washington, D.C.
  euphoniac@juno.com

      Since you specify beat rates, I'm assuming you can hear the beats =
themselves.  As for beat rates, I think the easiest ones to hear and =
count are in the Major thirds and Major sixths in the mid bass up to =
just above middle C.  When I learned, we used different methods to =
memorize the length of a second and of low numbers of beats per second, =
like 1 through about 9 beats per second.  1 bps is the old familiar "one =
thou-sand one, one thou-sand two", etc., or sit and listen to a clock =
that ticks once per second and try to tap your foot or pat your knee at =
exactly the same rate.  Or use a metronome (set it to 60).  If you set =
it to 120, that's 2 bps, or march tempo.  Twice that is 4 bps.  Walk =
down the street checking the second hand of your watch, or better,  some =
kind of display that flashes once per second.  Try to walk at march =
tempo (two steps per second), then check against your watch and see if =
you're keeping pace.  Or an electronic metronome that beeps and doesn't =
need a flat stable surface would work also. =20
      Five bps is approximately "Minneapolis" pronounced slowly, or =
maybe I should say enunciated.  I know this is not scientifically exact, =
but it's a good way to remember.  Let the metronome tick once per =
second, or watch the second hand of your watch while you say =
"Min-ne-a-po-lis" or "wa-wa-wa-wa-wa" or "one-two-three-four-five" over =
and over, then turn off the metronome but keep your Minneapolises or =
wa-wa-wahs going, then turn the metronome back on (or glance at your =
watch again) and see if you're still in synch. =20
      Seven beats a second is approximately "from Chicago to New York" =
pronounced kinda fast (again, not a precise or scientific thing, just a =
memory aid -- anything  with seven even syllables would work).  It's =
trying to memorize a certain speed of repetition, using everyday stuff =
to help you remember  When you get in the car and crank the engine, you =
probably get used to the rpms it cranks at until it starts.  Then on a =
cold day,  you notice it's not cranking as fast.  I would guess most =
cars crank at about 5 to 7 beats ber second (rpms), and maybe 3 bps on a =
cold morning, maybe 2 bps if the battery's almost dead.=20
        I used to hear those Rain Bird sprinklers on people's lawns, =
golf courses, school grounds, that go " chk, chk, chk, chk, chk, chk, =
chk, chk, ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-,  chk, =
chk, chk, chk" etc., and see how fast they were "chk-ing" in beats per =
second.  The "return rate" (the "ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch"  part) =
on my home sprinkler (the big golf course ones are slower) is right =
about 7 bps.  I'm into railroads, and on one of my favorite videos of =
old steam locomotives,  there's some footage of a crack passenger train =
doing about 70 or 80, and its exhaust rate (the "choo-choo", but it's =
really more of a "sh-sh-sh-sh-sh-sh-sh-sh-") is right around 8 beats per =
second.   Somehow, when I picture that engine blasting down the track, =
its exhaust rate is "set" in my mind -- pretty close, anyway, and for =
now, that's all we're trying for.   9 beats per second is about the =
fastest  I can drum triplets on the table with my index fingers.  3 bps =
is a fast waltz.   Above 12 to 15 bps is too fast to count for most =
people--just varying degrees of "coarseness".
        DJ's that play "techno" music get very good at being able to =
discern the beats per minute of dance tempos just by memorizing and much =
repetition.  I realize the watch watchers and metronome counters are =
probably wincing, but these mental "audio images" were a great help when =
I was learning to count beats and set a temperament.  If I associated =
the different beat rates with things like engines, sprinklers, and =
"Min-ne-a-po-lis", it was easier to remember than trying to say =
"wa-wa-wa-wa" a certain number of times per second.  It's kind of like =
trying to make evenly spaced marks a quarter or an eighth or a half inch =
apart on a piece of paper, then checking yourself with a ruler.  You =
won't be right on every time, but with much practice, you can get darn =
close.  These beat rates have to be compromised in many pianos anyhow, =
but if you can set three contiguous thirds at approximately 5 -7- 9 or =
7-9-11 ratios, depending which temperament octave you're using, you'll =
have a pretty good foundation for setting the rest of the intervals. =20
      Sincerely, David Nereson, Denver