The Bad News

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 10:16:54 -0500

     People could easily change the oil in there own cars, and do
many maintenance jobs. The fact they could do it has not stoped
whole industries from building around these chores.

  Piano tuning may not be as messy as some chores such as
changing oils, but it is very labour intensive. The first pianos
I tuned took over three hours, and I was exhausted. Stability
is then a major problem.

  I don't mind someone touching up their own instruments.
Wind players are taught to make many minor adjustments to
our instruments, but still need to bring it it for proper overhall
and adjustment periodically. Piano players know relatively little
compared to other musicians about their own instruments.
If they become increasingly informed and competent in the
mainanace of their own instruments, more power to them.

They will appreciate how well we do what we do more,
and see the need for extra regulation/voicing/new parts more.
I welcome a more informed piano playing public.
It would open up there eyes, they would demand better
instruments, and demand more maintenance in the end.

Some of my best clients are musicians that can touch
up there own instruments, and have attempted to
tune it from time to time. Good for them. They really
like me now.

                                 Dave Renaud
                                 RPT