The Good News; was The Bad News

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 10:13:50 EST

I wonder what scenario developed with the advent of the Strobe tuner?
Did some earlier Leo(s) proclaim that the trade was dead because now anyone
can do a "professional" tuning? :-)

   Probably so...but what has happened in the intervening years? Is there a
large group of piano owners doing tunings behind closed doors? Is the same
type of piano owner who hires someone to clean their car going to invest,
money and time, in something to tune their own piano?   New devices have
sprung up throughout the history of music and either flourished or withered
away and the same will be true of this 'new marvelous tune it yourself
device'. The blip caused by this thingee will 'probably' be hardly noticable
due to many factors. The  piano owners perceived "lack of time" will be the
biggest obstacle to
overcome................. and it ain't gonna happen, IMO.
  Let's just imagine back many, many, years with a conversation between
Artemus and Claudius, two prominent tuners of bygone time....................

 "Now look Claudius there is danger in this system, I
swear!"......................

"No Art baby there isn't"

"Claudius I don't like you calling me Art Baby and you are wrong.. There is a
danger in everybody being able to tune their own piano. Why this will change
the entire trade and tuners will starve in the streets even more than those
who do so now."

"Arty...come on now if these people won't take the time to clean out their
own horse stalls they won't take time to learn to tune their pianos....."

"Don't call me Arty either......... you visionless person you....I'm telling
you that if all that needs to be done to tune to a professional standard is
to divide the temperament into even divisions that everyone will be tuning
their own pianos....we'll starve and be cleaning out those horse stalls you
spoke of!!!"

"Claudius just calm down some new fangled thingee like 'Equal Temperament"
is not gonna change much of our business, if any".............

We know the "rest of the story" huh? ;-)
Jim Bryant (FL)