The Bad News

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 11:21:28 -0600

Hi Leo,

Good to see you're not letting life get you down.

It's just this sort of "Pandora's Box" phobia that has been responsible for
the general lack of evolution in pianos in the last hundred years. If all
the R&D information behind some of the oddities we see in old pianos (some
of which worked very well), had been made available to the industry after
the patent period had expired, instead of setting in a box under the sink
until the janitor threw it out when the new tenants moved in, we would have
a lot better idea of what does and doesn't work in a piano and why. So much
hard won information has been lost and wasted, some of it good, some of the
good - revolutionary. That's the fate of "trade secrets".

The unconscionably high percentage of professional work that I have had to
finish, alter, or tear down and re-do to get what I contracted for in the
first place leads me to wonder how many so called professionals are just
ignorant no talent clods like myself who are hiding their incompetence
behind a general non disclosure policy, lest they be found out by their
captive audience. There will always be do it yourselfers, thank God, who
will resent being continually helpless and victimized by some clown in a
"professional's" mask, and attempt to protect themselves through personal
education. They will muck up a lot of stuff on the way, but if they have a
working brain cell at their disposal, they will have learned something
about their capabilities and limitations. Not only that, they will have
learned an equally valuable something about the capabilities, limitations,
and legitimacy of the revered professionals they are forced by circumstance
to rely upon. They will, as a result, more deeply appreciate the good work
of a capable professional. The difference between attempting to do
something yourself, and hiring it done, lies in the perception of the trade
off of tool cost and difficulty/unpleasantness of the labor, verses the
cost of the professional/likelihood of the job being done satisfactorily.
Learning the difference between the perception and the reality first hand
makes potentially wiser and more resourceful consumers. If they can do the
job better than the professional, the professional has no business
pretending to be a professional. This is too often the case.

Personally, I wouldn't want any part of a job any knuckle dragger who could
work a doorknob in under three attempts could shuffle in off the streets
and do with ten minutes training and a black box. I'd be embarrassed to
show up and expect to be paid for going through the motions, and would be
off looking for a more demanding and entertaining job.

But that's just my opinion.

Ron N