The Bad News

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 12:21:33 EST

In a message dated 3/17/01 10:43:38 AM Central Standard Time,
LHSBAND440@AOL.COM writes:

> The bad news is that this is soon to be the future of the piano tuning
> industry.  With ETD's becoming more and more accurate, the common piano
> player will be able to tune a piano to the same accuracy of a good piano
> tuner.

LOL.  As Bobby McFarrin (a musician I went to school with and worked with in
my teens and early 20's) wrote, "Don't worry, be happy".  And as Jim RPT
says, "It ain't gonna happen".  What the guy who wrote that "paper" doesn't
know about piano service would fill an entire bookshelf.

"Accurate" Electronic Tuning Devices (ETD) have been around for ages.  Even
now, with the kind that you hook up to a laptop computer and all, the never
ending discussion about how *best* to tune a piano continues.  There are no
books or ETD's which describe or permit anyone who doesn't know what I know
to tune the piano the way I do. For that reason, people call me because of
the very special way I handle their pianos (which is not at all limited to
tuning).  None of the people I have or ever will work for would ever even
think of trying to do the work I do themselves.

The skills and work output it requires to do this work are not compatible
with playing fine music.  Being a fine musician requires practice on an
instrument which is well prepared.  Yes, it's true that a really good piano
tuning (regulation and voicing too) don't last long.  Neither does an oil
change, a car wash, a house cleaning, a window washing, a lawn mowing, a snow
plowing, etc...

A fine musician is not going to change his own oil, wash his own car, etc.
because his/her time is better spent practicing the finer art.  The use of
muscle groups doing these other activities may well interfere with
musicianship.  Have you ever noticed that there are relatively few piano
technicians who are very good at what they do who are also extraordinarily
good pianists?

Good piano service can only be performed by a very well trained person of
many years experience.  No ETD is going to change that.  The most they can do
is help the skilled practitioner be more consistent and produce higher
quality work quicker with less stress.  Most technicians who write on this
list would have 2, 3 or 4 pianos done with much better results in the time
this fool with his "revolutionary" ETD would take to mess up a piano badly
enough that any serious musician wouldn't have it.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day.  Have some green beer and keep on doing what
you're doing come Monday morning.  The pianos will still be waiting for your
attention then and every year thereafter in which you still wish to continue
working, electronic keyboards and ETD's notwithstanding.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin